Forums Latest Members
  1. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 24, 2021

New to the forum, but first, a confession…I once owned a fake TAG. I was 12 (quite some time ago) and was in a Turkish market. Cost £6 and lasted well, aside from the shield sliding down the face when in the sun by the pool. Easily adjusted back though. I vowed that I would one day own a real one and that day has just about come.

I am drawn to getting an Automatic movement and like the style of the Aquaracer and the Carrera. I am also drawn to seeing the craftsmanship by having the movement in view, but not on the face as think it’s might be too busy when actually telling the time? That leads my down the Carrera road I guess, with the open back.

I am looking for a design that will last a lifetime, but also want it to retain its value to pass in to my Son at a later point.

I am a keen cyclist, so Titanium draws me ti the Bamford Aquaracer, but I read that it’s a softer Ti that’s used and so longevity is a question. I won’t be using it on the bike though, but do want to avoid everyday dents.

I also like the Aquaracer 844 and the Aquaracer Pro Night Diver. Again, won’t be used in water, just like the designs.

As for the Carrera, I am very much drawn to the Porsche model, having been a massive fan of the 356 and classic 911 all my life. Never going to own one, but this could scratch the itch somewhat.

It all depends on whether I can strike a deal as the RRP on the Porsche is more than I would ideally like to spend, but could be tempted if there’s haggling to be had. What’s the usual expectation on haggling discount level?

I have seen quite a few others that I like, but interested in any advice people can give, based on the above. Will post up model numbers of ones That draw my attention below, but suggestions welcome…thank you.

kappa_md and dtf like this.
  2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

The Porsche Carrera is pretty cool on the strap, and could potentially hold it's value over the longer term...

kappa_md and bpsmith like this.
  3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

Welcome to the forum. I would also say, take your time and get it right, you've waited this long so no hurry - right?

bpsmith likes this.
  4. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

Welcome.

You mentioned value retention which isn't the best with Tag Heuer, but that said, they should certainly retain a fair portion of their value over the longer term. One way of avoiding the initial depreciation is to look at the used market, which also opens up a number of other choices, but maybe you have your heart set on buying new?

I would agree with Aquagraph above and say don't rush your decision. And be prepared for your tastes to change over time. I bought my first ever luxury watch, a Tag, just over 8 years ago, with the intention of having just one nice piece. I've sold and bought a huge number of watches since then, and whilst a lot more stable now, can't say my "collection" is finished yet. :)

PhillipDB and bpsmith like this.
  5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

And you should totally buy a Tudor Black Bay 58

dtf and bpsmith like this.
  6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

Is the subtext of that

7. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

That's not the subtext at all. Given value retention was mentioned, I was just stating the fact that some brands are better at value retention than others, and Tag is not one of those brands. If you really want value retention then Rolex is the way to go, but a) you may not be able to get one, and b) I sense that our poster really wants a TAG.

Edit: Also of note, the BB58 had strong residuals for a while after launch but now demand has mostly been met and pieces are appearing in shop windows, used prices are now dropping below retail.

8. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 24, 2021

I haven’t really looked at other brands, but randomly saw that when browsing and it instantly stood out!

dtf and imagwai like this.
  9. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 24, 2021

Thanks for all of your replies.

Based on value retention not being ideal then, what’s the scope for haggling? What sort of %’s potentially? Just with a view to balancing out the lower retention.

It’s not all about that though, as want to enjoy it for myself first and foremost.

Been warned to stop collecting bikes, so watch is the obvious next move.

dtf likes this.
  10. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

I would aim to try and get at least 10% or maybe 15% off a new TAG. Doubtful that you'll get more than that from an authorized dealer and you may not get anything on in demand watches or limited editions. Some bargains to be had at the TAG outlet store on older stock, though, perhaps. Are you UK based? @Aquagraph can probably help you find out what's in stock at Biscester Village outlet.

If you're going to hold on to the watch for a while, all this is moot anyway. Over the long term (say 10 years), prices for everything will rise, and used watches will get dragged up along with it.

11. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 24, 2021

I am in South Wales, so Cardiff is my nearest boutique store. Never been in there though, despite regular visitor to the City.

Definitely be keeping longer than 10 years.

Is that sort of discount in the official TAG stores or the likes of Goldsmiths, etc?

I am looking to buy in the next month or so.

what are your thoughts on the Aquaracer vs Carrera?

12. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

Hard to get a discount in the boutiques. Authorized dealers like Goldsmiths should be somewhat easier. Or you could buy from a grey market dealer like Swiss Watches Direct who basically deal with the AD on your behalf and get the watch for you at a discount (usually with a full manufacturer warranty).

bpsmith likes this.
  13. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

I'm a Carrera person, and the in-house Heuer 02 movement is arguably a better movement than the ETA Calibre 5 you find in the Aquaracer. What matters most is what you like the look of best, though, as that's what you'll mainly be doing with it.

bpsmith likes this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

So definitely do not buy a Tudor Black Bay 58

bpsmith likes this.
  15. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 24, 2021

I'm not entirely sure even owning it, but the Aquaracer 844 LE is Grade 5 titanium which is harder than the relatively soft Grade 2 of the Bamford. So that could be a plus.

In terms of value: Look around at as many dealers as you can realistically reach (though many will ship as well), get the best deal you can. And then wear it absolutely everywhere. The residual value when you pass it to your son comes not from the dollar amount of the watch, but from the memories.

DATee, dtf, bpsmith and 3 others like this.
  16. dtf

dtf Sep 24, 2021

N+1 also applies to watches.

The AR and Carrera are very different watches and it’s a case of finding the one that works for your style, wear the outfit that you typically wear and will be wearing the watch with when you go shopping and try a bunch on - remember in store lighting is probably not representative.

Its really important to try watches on, many people fall in love with something online and hate it on the wrist (like I did with the Black Bay Bronze).

Watches are typically a bad investment (unless it’s a steel Rolex), so buy what you want because you want and can afford it, not because of what it may or may not be worth in the future.

kappa_md and Jim Dollares like this.
  17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

Yes, absolutely.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

Good advice. Don't think there's much 'argument' that the H02 is better than the Cal 5, despite the small sample size.

imagwai likes this.
  19. thingziliketoo

thingziliketoo Sep 24, 2021

Great advice, buy what you love not what you can get the best deal on. You will be left wanting that watch you love.

When its time to pass it down that enthusiam, love for and life lived with the watch will be celebrated and enjoyed by your loved ones recieving it.

20. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 24, 2021

Cheers @imagwai @Aquagraph @abrod520 @dtf @thingziliketoo for your great advice.

I will have a good look and try on what I find. Not got any idea of sizing for my wrist yet, so may be surprised in that respect.

I am leaning towards the Carrera tbh.

n+1 made me smile too @dtf.

dtf likes this.