Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 12, 2016

Plenty of rumours going around that Ron Dennis will be kicked out of his job at McLaren from early next week. It appears as though the Board has already told him that his contract won't be renewed for next year, and because he is trying to organise a sale of McLaren in the next few weeks to get new owners in ahead of that deadline, they want him out now. He lost a High Court appeal on Friday to stop the other shareholders from acting against him.

Ron is unique and quirky- but he is one of my most admired figures in Formula 1 and sport in general What he achieved with the McLaren team is incredible. He then took these exacting standards from the sport to build a series of great roadcars. He used to get all the best drivers and all the best sponsors and partners, including Honda and Mercedes-Benz.

The last couple of years have been harder, and McLaren has been without a title sponsor for a couple of years and the engine deal with Honda has yet to show success. So is it time for him to go? Yes, I'd say it probably is- but that is not to undermine the enormous contribution and success that he has enjoyed.

Maybe there will be another twist in the tail of this saga, but it does look like the end for one of Formula 1's great figures

2. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Nov 13, 2016

If I remember correctly, several years ago Ron Dennis worked as a mechanic in the team of Jack Brabham. Since then, the "Garagisti"
    developped quite well. From a mechanic to the management of McLaren is what I call a career. I'm afraid his situation is more than
    difficult, but I would have wished him a more friendly end with McLaren.

3. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2016

Its quite sad as I really do think next year could be an amazing one for McLaren Honda, Hasegawa san seems confident as does Alonso that the 2017 engine will be on par with Mercedes and Peter Prod believes he can match or better the Mercedes chassis, I actually have a suspicion that Ferrari will be nowhere, Mercedes will have lost a bit and RedBull could be the leader challenged mainly by Mclaren.

4. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 13, 2016

Amazing career, with an abrupt end. Maybe he will be offered another high-profile position on another team or company.

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 13, 2016

I don't see it. Maybe a role in Formula 1 itself, but I couldn't see Dennis working for another team as he'll still be a 25% shareholder in McLaren

6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 14, 2016

Good point. We'll see soon enough.

7. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2016

8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 15, 2016

9. albertoct

albertoct Nov 17, 2016

Hard to believe that he will keep the shares and his seat in the board.
    Newspapers report that the successor could be Zak Brown: it is a bit sad for a motorsports fan if a "mechanic" is replaced by a "marketing guru"...

WernerBoeinck likes this.
  10. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Nov 18, 2016

Wow. I see parallels in this story to the way Jack Heuer lost his company. Although at least Ron Dennis will retain his shareholding.

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 21, 2016

Yes, I hadn't thought of that, but there are some similarities.

I suspect that Ron would be a tough man to work for, but the type of guy who would get the best out of you. The bottom line is that McLaren hasn't won regular races/ championships for at least 10 years, and has been without a major sponsor for some time. Things had to change.

12. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Nov 22, 2016

Zak Brown joins McLaren!

13. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2016

He'll definitely get to work solving the title sponsorship drought they've had

14. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 22, 2016

It's not the sort of job I'd take on unless I already had a sponsor in my pocket!