Forums Latest Members
  1. jacinabox

jacinabox May 13, 2021

Hi All

Movements - I've never, in lots of years collecting watches, given much thought to movements. I buy watches because I like them, not what's driving them. My knowledge extends to knowing the difference between a mechanical and quartz movement!

I'm shortly going to veiw a Monaco CW2111 with a Cal 17 movement which is a re-branded ETA 2894-2. There is no known service history and with the watch getting on in years, servicing is a consideration.
    A quick ferret on the net seems to suggest the ETA 2894-2 is not loved by watchmakers - spares and the need for special tools drives that opinion amongst independants.

Now I've grasped that there are "pure" chrono's and modular chrono's. It appears that watchmakers simply service the base movement and if the chrono side of the watch (the module) works it's simply fitted back. If there is an issue, the module is sent back to ETA to be refurbished...I'd imagine that would add to the service costs considerably?

So, is the CAL17, ETA2894-2 a modular chrono and are there any difficulties with servicing and supply of parts if passed to an independant.
    If given to a TH approved service centre will they only service the base unit, or service the entire watch?

Any advice for someone reputable in the UK please...heard some less than satisfactory opinions on LVHM in Manchester - then it seems only the negatives are published on forums.

Really not wanting to sink my hard earned into something that's going to be difficult to maintain.

If my terminology is wrong, apologies!

Thanks

2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares May 13, 2021

Wazzup bromigo, not sure if I can answer all your questions but some at least. Yes it is a modular movement. I have never heard that they would send the chrongraph module separately to ETA for service, that sounds very odd. What I've been told by the TAG Heuer servicecenter here (Im in Sweden) is that the most common thing is to just throw the chronograph module in the trash and attach a new one. They can be serviced but it is not worth the hassle and since the module is so cheap to replace they just treat them as disposable.

My general feeling is that you shouldnt be worried about mainraining/owning this movement, its a common one that should be relatively cheap to maintain. Plus its silky smooth to wind which is always a plus.

Looking forward to seeing photos if you decide to go for it!

jacinabox and thingziliketoo like this.
  3. abrod520

abrod520 May 13, 2021

I don't think the 2894 is particularly unloved on its own - the problem here is yes, the Caliber 17 in the Monaco is a modular chronograph using a Dubois-Depraz chrono module on top of the 2894... and that is something most independent watchmakers will straight up refuse to work on. TAG service centers won't have any issue with it though because just like Jim said, they just replace the chrono module rather than service it. (Though they aren't thrown away, just taken to a central location for refurbishment and eventually will become one of the replacements)

So yes, to answer your question these can be a bit more expensive to maintain since you're stuck using TAG's official service centers. Depending on how much your usual watchmaker charges for a chrono service, might not be all that much more though

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares May 13, 2021

Thank you for adding this Adam, you have so much knowledge :thumbsup:

abrod520 likes this.
  5. abrod520

abrod520 May 13, 2021

Some comes from experience ;)

Jim Dollares likes this.
  6. jacinabox

jacinabox May 13, 2021

Thank you both for your reassuring replies, I feel a lot more confident with the potential purchase of the Monaco - now a Monza with the same movement (and no known history again) is on the cards. Not both, but one or the other sadly! Both are at a good price and hopefully with a little wiggle room too, that will soften service costs.

I've got a pair of of Monaco's already (CAW211K & CAW2111) both are getting to an age when service is due (or overdue) Any suggestions for a good independant in UK? Meanwhile I'll contact TH service centre for a quote.
    My usual watchmaker is not keen on touching them - I'm going to take a guess is that he is more 'open' about servicing these type of chrono's in that he'd consider servicing the base movement and the module as constituting a proper service?

Again, appreciate your response's :)

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 13, 2021

8. jacinabox

jacinabox May 14, 2021

That's an excellent article, it answers everything and more that I needed to know.
    Thank you for taking the time to post it - education is wonderful even with my advancing years :)

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 15, 2021

Pleased to help :thumbsup: