Clever take on the Smartwatch- Montblanc E-strap

Montblanc have announced a novel new take on how to combine the mechanical watch with Smartwatch functionality. Here is the watch:
Smart-watch-No-smart-strap-01.jpg

...and here is the "e-Strap"
Smart-watch-No-smart-strap-02.jpg

This is not an entirely new idea and there have been others who have looked to have the buckle/ strap such as this Modillion:
Modillian-smart-strap-2_zps7e45c1e7.png

What I really like about the Montblanc is that the strap is removable (fits like a NATO) and will work across several models. In terms of functionality it will show calls, texts, email, appointments, and other basic content. Functionality include some fitness tracking features with the built-in pedometer and have the ability to control music playback.

So it's not a true Smartwatch, but still a clever alternative that I hope TAG Heuer look at closely.

I like it. Why not go a step further and make the whole strap with those flexible OLED displays?

I like it. Why not go a step further and make the whole strap with those flexible OLED displays?

Yes, why not? To me, the single biggest drawback of the Apple Watch is the fact that you need to connect it to your iPhone for many of the functions- you don't have device independence. So, if you're stuck with two devices, I love the idea of Montblanc's approach, which I would have thought provides at least some of the functionality in a form that avoids the disposability of these devices, which is at odds with the idea of a watch you own for life.

By the way, from what I understand this will work with any watch and you can buy the strap for EUR350.

Exactly, this is precisely my thought on the other thread. Plus with the electronics on the strap, these could be upgraded and replaced over time once they reach obsolescence, leaving the mechanical piece intact.

Expect trends to have a timepiece on one hand, and a smart watch on the other :)

I saw this on another forum where it was slatted as a gimmick. Most saw this as irrelevant, personally I like it. My son who loves his technology has already taken an interest and I'm thinking birthday present.

I saw this on another forum where it was slatted as a gimmick. Most saw this as irrelevant, personally I like it. My son who loves his technology has already taken an interest and I'm thinking birthday present.

Well, maybe it is a gimmick, but surely no more or less than some of the other smartwatches!

The trade-off here is between functionality and balancing technology with a mechanical product. Sure, it does fewer things, but as discussed in this post and the other on Smartwatches, it also avoids a lot of the problems that people on this forum have with Smartwatches.

It may not be perfect, but at least Montblanc have shown some innovative thinking.

Well, maybe it is a gimmick, but surely no more or less than some of the other smartwatches!

The trade-off here is between functionality and balancing technology with a mechanical product. Sure, it does fewer things, but as discussed in this post and the other on Smartwatches, it also avoids a lot of the problems that people on this forum have with Smartwatches.

It may not be perfect, but at least Montblanc have shown some innovative thinking.

I couldn't agree more, I like the idea of the fusion of mechanical and technology on the wrists. Smart watches are not the most attractive but this solution aesthetically works for me.