Forums Latest Members

Charging experiences for everyday use for connected 45

1. gajtguy

gajtguy Dec 5, 2018

This is my first post, and I tried doing some research first. I’m new to the TAG smart watch.
    I find that one full 10 hour work day gets the battery to about 40%. By the morning, it’s 36% and wouldn’t last the next full work day. Short of waking up an hour early to plug it in, I’m wondering if others plug in nightly and then it’s always 100% for the day. I have used the weekend to run it down completely and charge back to 100%. Anyone have a routine that works?

2. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 6, 2018

Hi and welcome! :)

I charge it every day, and this is the routine that works for me:
    After my daily working day (11h out from home) the battery is usually between 30-40% depending on the watch face (I’m using WatchMaker app faces, with the screen always on). Before going to sleep, I charge it up to around 65-75% (it takes few minutes) and then I remove it from the charger and switch the watch off.

When I wake up I put it again on the charger (it then switches on automatically, showing the charging screen) and while I’m taking the shower, breakfast, etc, it’s already at 100% when I leave home.

I prefer not to keep it all night on the charger, because I think this way is not so good for the battery. It’s always better to charge the battery when is between 20-80%.

3. ddaenen1

ddaenen1 Dec 6, 2018

I charge it every night on my nightstand and leave it on the charger from the point i get to bed until i wake up. I cannot be bothered by the time it is on the charger as modern Li-Ion charging techniques should take of that. Typically i end the day with roughly 15-20% left after having worn it for approx. 17 hours (7am to 12pm)

4. gajtguy

gajtguy Dec 6, 2018

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  5. gajtguy

gajtguy Dec 6, 2018

I was thinking the same, modern Li Ion batteries shouldn't have the same memory and performance issues as old NiCads. Curious if you've seen any degradation in performance so far? Thanks for your help.

6. lottze

lottze Dec 10, 2018

I found that I need 1 hour of charging untill 100% (surely depends on remaining capacity) so I added a smart power socket and set the time for charging at early morning. So I can put the charging puk on in the evening and charging starts (and ends) in the morning.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  7. Feanor

Feanor Dec 12, 2018

Guys, don't leave the watch on the charger overnight. It will degrade the battery faster. I charge my watch when I get back home to 100%, remove it, leave it off charger overnight and I top it up once more in the morning for good measure. In the morning it's anyway around 90%, so topping it up takes less than half an hour. I do the same with my smartphone, though Sonys have a special system that prevents the battery from overcharging overnight.

8. ddaenen1

ddaenen1 Dec 12, 2018

I am sorry to say so but you shouldn't believe everything you read on the web. Lithium Ion charging technology is intelligent and includes overcharging protection. The so called trickle charging when the battery is full will diminish battery life over time but that will be way past the lifetime of the watch.

9. Feanor

Feanor Dec 13, 2018

But this can vary widely depending on how often you let your watch overcharge and how long you plan to keep your watch (or hope that it will remain functional). Though to be honest, as long as you don't get rid of your watch because you want something more technologically advanced, I actually expect that the battery will be the first component to age.

kwilcox likes this.
  10. kwilcox

kwilcox Dec 13, 2018

I believe that's right. Batteries have a finite amount of charge/discharge cycles and these watches pretty much need daily charging.

BMW Works likes this.
  11. kwilcox

kwilcox Dec 14, 2018

That's good to hear!

12. gajtguy

gajtguy Dec 27, 2018

Thank you all, this was very helpful to hear. I have started the routine described by Albert-AMG where I put it on the charger as soon as I wake up, and while I'm showering, shaving, even getting in a workout; it gets to 100%. I find that I can turn the watch off before bed and it's usually around 40-45% capacity at that point. The other point that I've heard discussed is that the sheer fact that this is a smartwatch, the overall lifespan of the device is now limited by the technology, the battery life, etc. I guess that's why they offered one of the automatics to go with it, so it lasts much longer as an investment. Thanks everyone.

Feanor and Albert-AMG like this.