Forums Latest Members

Carrera Twin Time - advice on switching dials please

1. MH65

MH65 Oct 21, 2015

Hi all,

I'm new to this great website and forum, and would appreciate advice please.

I'm the proud owner of a Carrera Twin Time with a silver dial ( WV2116)
    I've had the watch for 10 years and it's been fantastic.
    Lately the original strap (FC6181) has broken so I need to replace that.

Whilst looking at the official Tag Heuer service and repair website a few days back in the U.K. ( mainly to get their number to check on the price for a replacement strap ) I noticed that they offer a service to change the dial of several models.

I phoned them and they confirmed that they would be able to do this for my particular watch, as I'm potentially interested in switching my watch from the original silver to a black dial ( WV2115 ).

The reason for me being interested in potentially switching to the black dial is not just for aesthetic reasons, but is mainly driven by what I think would be easier readability. My eyesight is not what it was 10 years ago, and I think the black dial behind silver hands would make it more easily readable than the silver dial behind silver hands.

My questions are ;
    1/ do you agree that the black dial (WV2115) is more easily readable compared to the silver dial version (WV2116) ?

2/ has anyone used this service of switching dials, and any comments on it ?

3 / on the off chance that I don't like the resulting switch, can it be reversed at a later time ?

By the way, if I do decide to switch I appreciate that I'd also be better with the black strap too ( FC6180 ).
    If anyone is interested, the price they charge for switching dials is £284.20 ( including 20% vat ) and a £25 labour charge.

Thanks in advance for help.

Edited Oct 21, 2015
  2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 21, 2015

Hi there,

I'm really surprised to hear that they offer this service. It's certainly something the collectors will sometimes do, but I had no idea that TAG Heuer (assume that you are talking about an Authorised Dealer?) would allow it.

The main problem is that the reference number engraved on your watch corresponds to a particular dial colour. So, the issue would arise if you tried to sell the watch with the Black dial, you would have people looking up the reference and probably avoiding your sale because it wouldn't match. Of course the easy answer is that maybe you don't intend to sell it, or if you ever did you could simply switch the dial back.

Also note that your GMT hand has a blue triangle at the end, but the true Black dial model has a red triangle. Again, no reason why this part couldn't be bought if you wanted to.

Keep an eye on the cost too- £300 for the dial, say £200 for the strap and £100 for the correct GMT hand...here is a nice looking second hand watch for just over £1000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAG-HEUER-M...431651?hash=item3cf1108da3:g:nskAAOSw2s1Uvu~DPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

By the time you change it over and then change it back, there's not much difference.

Impossible to comment on Silver vs. Black- reckon that's purely personal choice.

3. elbeik

elbeik Oct 22, 2015

I am not sure if you are willing to invest in a second watch, but like David said, the investment you are about to make is close to the price of used watch in good condition.

Perhaps searching for a Calibre 5 with a black dial (WAR201A or WV211B) - used - would be an alternative.

Just my 2 cents..

4. albertoct

albertoct Oct 22, 2015

I agree with the previous opinions: I would buy a non original leather band for £30 and continue to enjoy the WV2116, and invest the £600 + (I think this cost does not include the cost of a general revision, that will be charged on top) on another model of Carrera.

5. MH65

MH65 Oct 22, 2015

Thanks very much for the advice, which is very useful indeed.

I found out about the dial switching service from what appears to be Tag Heuers own website, I've cut and pasted the link below;

http://customer-service.tagheuer.com/en-gb/faq

And here I've cut and pasted the particular part FAQ part of the website where they mention dials ;

'Can I change the colour of my dial?
    We will change the colour of dial if this model exists in our collection. We cannot create an entirely new model therefore a dial change is subject to technical autorisation. A new case back would need to be fitted to ensure that the model reference corresponds to the reference for the dial.'

I phoned the guys about it in their materials department ( who would potentially do the job ). They confirmed that although the website states that a new case back would need to be fitted , it would not be necessary unless I particularly wanted it.

I have no intention ( for the foreseeable future at least ) of selling the watch, so I would not change the case back to reflect the revised dial. Excellent spot though that this is a consideration, thanks.

I didn't reckon on the GMT hand potentially having to be changed too, so thanks very much for mentioning that as well.

Yes, buying a second hand black dial twin time is an option I'll certainly consider.
    Bearing in mind that the strap on my existing watch needs to be replaced anyway, the cost of changing it to the black dial version would really be £300 ( that excludes the approx £100 cost of changing the GMT hand ).
    The way I'm thinking is changing my watch to the black dial version may potentially extend by quite a few years the useful life of my watch by improving the readability of the watch.
    That's based on my unproven theory that the black dial is more easily readable than the silver dial version, so I'd welcome any more views on this.
    My eyesight is not that bad right now, I wear glasses for reading. I do like though to quickly glance at a watch and see the time easily.

One thing I should have pointed out earlier is that my other half has a voucher for a well known high street jeweller .who are also an AD for Tag Heuer, and she has generously offered to use it to get me a present of a replacement strap if I'd like.

I received this watch as a leaving gift from a bunch of now ex colleagues, many of whom are still good mates.
    The point being that this particular watch is of sentimental importance, so whilst I have no intention of selling it I would dearly like to extend its valuable life.

I would hope, but I'm not certain about this, that if I ever changed my mind in future and wished to change back to the original silver dial then they would permit me to use my existing silver dial and it would only cost me the labour charge of approximately £25.

As well as welcoming any more advice on the questions already asked, I'd also appreciate any advice on what straps go well with the WV2115 version of the watch.
    The FC6180 seems to be the most popular one.

Thanks very much.

Edited Oct 22, 2015
  6. albertoct

albertoct Oct 22, 2015

I own a WS2113 and I love the black perforated band: for your model it should be model fc6182.
    I also have a Monza with black dial, and I have a brown croco band: I think that brown fits well with a black dial.

Instead, I don't like the black croco, but it's just a question of personal taste. I add some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. albertoct

albertoct Oct 22, 2015

And this is the model I have: it's smaller (36 mm I think), with plexy glass and without deployment clasp, but I love this dial!

[​IMG]

dtf likes this.
  8. MH65

MH65 Oct 22, 2015

I agree, the perforated black band does look excellent with the black dial.
    After years having had a brown croc band, it may also be good to have something other than a croc band for a change.

Picture attached of my watch with existing silver dial. Sorry for poor quality of image.
    If I do change to the black dial, as per earlier suggestion I may also have to change the GMT hand from the blue to the red triangle .

Still open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks again.

image.jpg

9. dtf

dtf Oct 23, 2015

Sorry it's not helpful, but I really like that and the black Heuer above :) what's the model no of the Heuer?

10. albertoct

albertoct Oct 23, 2015

dtf, we can talk about it! I love it, but I am thinking about selling it 'cause it's "just" 36 mm. The model is WS2113, it was a vintage re-edition made in the same period of the carrera cs3113.

11. dtf

dtf Oct 23, 2015

Im interested for sure :) Can see where you're coming from thou, 36mm is a bit small (the aquaracer Im wearing today looks tiny and thats 38mm). Which country are you in?

OP - sorry for the hijack.

12. albertoct

albertoct Oct 23, 2015

I am from Italy.

13. dtf

dtf Oct 23, 2015

Drop me a PM when you've had a think about how much you want for it, Im not in a position to buy it this month, but next month I might do.

14. elbeik

elbeik Oct 27, 2015

15. imagwai

imagwai Oct 27, 2015

16. MH65

MH65 Oct 27, 2015

Thanks very much, good of you to mention it.