Forums Latest Members

Carrera Connected Calibre 5 Exchange Watch SAR2A80

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 7, 2016

Here is the first full-size shot of the Calibre 5 "Connected"- exclusive to Connected owners
    TAG Heuer Connected - Mecanical Watch Exchange Packshot (2).jpg

Ara, mouldgt, bobby1652 and 5 others like this.
  2. Calibre11

3. AussieAlex

AussieAlex Apr 7, 2016

Does the smart watch module drop out, to be replace with a drop in mechanical module, or does the customer get a completely new watch?

4. Calibre11

Pretty sure it's an entirely new watch

5. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 7, 2016

While this "exchange + $1500" option is nice, I would rather have the "trade-in + pay" option for the next-gen Connected watch.

AndySix and dtf like this.
  6. dtf

dtf Apr 7, 2016

You could just spend $1500 buying the next connected. Same cost to you and you get the new connected instead. Then sell your old connected and it works out cheaper than if you'd traded it against the new one.

Really like the look of this calibre 5, would like to see it in the metal. Any ideas of its the same size face as the connected?

7. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 7, 2016

Yes, that is my reasoning as well. It would just be nice that they would offer the option to avoid the hassle.

dtf likes this.
  8. dtf

dtf Apr 8, 2016

Yeah agreed, I like the idea of perpetual new technology.

Back on topic, I think I could be tempted to buy a used connected, just so I can upgrade to the calibre 5 above. If it was calibre 7 it would be my perfect daily I think.

9. elbeik

elbeik Apr 8, 2016

Is there a "trick" somewhere? Meaning, is there a time limit for you to exchange your connected?

Let's say a generation 1 switched in between 2-3 owners down the road, can someone still claim a Calibre 5 let's say in a couple of years?

10. Osmosis

Osmosis Apr 8, 2016

Is that steel or titanium cased?

11. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 8, 2016

I have a feeling the "trade-in + $" promotion will only be offered to original owners who have a valid registration on the dedicated http://www.tagheuerconnected.com/ Connected site.

12. calibre11user

calibre11user Apr 8, 2016

Why doesn't Tag Heuer offer one of the existing Calibre 5 Carrera models instead of creating a new one just for the trade-in?

13. elbeik

elbeik Apr 8, 2016

Let's say, I bought your Connected watch; will I not be able to register it? In other words, I will not be able to benefit from the exchange program.

14. dtf

dtf Apr 8, 2016

Any ideas if a Calibre 7 Twin Time movement could be fitted into this case?

15. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 8, 2016

Good question. Let's assume that the website does allow secondary registrations on the same serial number. Would the program start counting from the new registered date? These are the official details that need to be made public, to understand our options.

16. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Jul 6, 2016

My thoughts are that unlike a traditional mechanical watch, the value of the Connected will drop off considerably when news of its successor (Connected II if you like) is announced. In the UK I could possibly get £800-900 for a used Connected today - in another 18 months I'd probably be lucky to realise £300 for the same device with it's replacement about to hit the streets. The TAG trade in programme essentially retains a higher degree of value in what will be an out of date digital device.

17. Wastelanderuk

I would suspect that whilst your watch registration is active (you can check this against you profile on the TAG Connected web-site), a 2nd user would not be able to register that device again.

18. Wastelanderuk

Bugger! The trade-in mechanical watch is looking very appealing. My longer term plan had been to upgrade to the automatic Calibre 5 when the programme kicks in, and then ultimately upgrade that to a Calibre 16/1887 Day/Date Carrera in due course (sadly I have limited funds!) But that is soooo good looking I fear I may want to actually keep it!!!

Edited Jul 7, 2016
  19. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jul 7, 2016

I don't quite understand the logic here, buyers of the connected watch surely bought it due to the technology? so why would they trade back to a mechanical watch, it seems like a Tesla sports car owner trading it in against an internal combustion engined car, doesn't seem like progress, if I had one I'd rather keep that and have a "normal" watch too.

20. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Jul 7, 2016

But the technology is developing and the current Connected will soon become obsolete. By offering the trade-in TAG have given an incentive to adopt the technology that will be redundant with little or no resale value in 36-48 months, and give a guaranteed offset against a Carrera in 24 months.

I treated it like a down-payment. How about this for a car analogy - Here...we know you really wanted a Porsche but tell you want, have this funky electric SMART car to play with whilst you wait for it and we'll let you spread the costs too!

Edited Jul 7, 2016
    filis007 likes this.