Forums Latest Members

Carrera Calibre S lap timer retrograde

1. george023

george023 Apr 13, 2015

Hi all,

A colleague of mine just purchased the watch in the subject line, model CV7A11.

He did some research and discovered that this is one that was released with a spelling error - where the Forty and Fortyfive on the inner bezel is spelt "Fourty" and "Fourtyfive". This was supposed to be a production error on the first 500 units produced.

His research led him to believe that this is now a collectors item. Is this right? What would it be worth to the right person? He paid $1000 in 9/10 condition. Photo below.

image.jpg
  2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 14, 2015

Certainly a quirky one- strange that it made it all the way through the various prototyping phases and no-one noticed!

But, have to say that I think this would have zero impact on value relative to a later "forty" model. Yeah, it's an interesting story, but I can't see anyone paying any more for it.

Now, if the same mistake had been made on the Chronomatic Monaco, then it would be a totally different story.

I'm interested in other views...am I missing something?

3. george023

george023 Apr 17, 2015

My colleague has done a bit more research as this has totally fascinated and stumped him. A lot of people are saying that the spelling difference is not just how other cultures e.g. may spell Forty. And a lot of people are saying that it does indeed have collectible value.

We're just trying to find out what that may be. Anyone else have any info or can shed any more light?

4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 17, 2015

I remember reading that maybe back in the day they used to spell it that way in some parts of Canada, but I agree that it's simply a typo/ error.

Certainly welcome any other views- but the only way to know for sure would be to test the market on eBay. For what it's worth, I don't reckon it would get any premium (unless it was from TAG Heuer wanting to buy up the mistakes and get them off the market! ;) )

5. Smeetoo!

Smeetoo! Apr 29, 2015

Have the same model (black dial) with the same 'typo' the only thing i could find saying it had any kind of added collectibility was a you tube comment saying that it was limited to the first 500 pieces before the error was caught and that it now had a value of USD 5000 +... find that a bit hard to believe