Forums Latest Members
  1. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 28, 2021

Have seen one that I like the look of but, as they are a few years old now, I wonder what your opinion/experience of this model is?

Can’t seem to find lug to lug size anywhere. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Are these really big watches? My wrist is 16.5cm and wondering how it will fit?

What’s it like telling the time at a glance? Does it make it difficult for your eyes to focus on the hands due to the detail on the inner workings? Or is the time ok, but chronograph more difficult?

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 28, 2021

They are certainly BIG watches. A 16.5cm wrist is fine, as long as you know this will wear large. Skeleton watches are mostly statement pieces. Some editions are more legible than others. Which one are you considering?

3. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 29, 2021

I have seen a couple of the black version available. Decent distance from me, so asking the questions to avoid the trip if not suitable.

The aim is partly to switch up with my Seamaster 300M, to save scratching the clasp and damaging my desk when wearing short sleeves and partly just to enjoy something different.

Torn between that or the other extreme of the Orange Formula 1 or a Quartz Aquaracer perhaps.

4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

For your wrist size I would go for a 41mm Aquaracer, unless you like big watches. My wrist is 185mm and even on me the original CAR2A1Z 45mm skeleton is a big watch. The 43mm F1 isn't small either to be fair, but the Heuer 01 is thick with it. Are you thinking about putting different straps on the H01? I don't honestly think that will work very well, the rubber straps are designed to fit around the lugs, to blend them into the strap, if you put a normal strap on it you will get a step that will make the watch look even bigger and highlight those bug, shiny lugs.

bpsmith likes this.
  5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

[​IMG]

Mspeedster, dtf and bpsmith like this.
  6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

I do find it perfectly legible though, although maybe the chronograph not so much.

bpsmith likes this.
  7. VirgileF

VirgileF Nov 29, 2021

From my point of view, with my wrist of 17,2/17,5 cm, 44mm or 45mm is too big.

It's perfect with a watch between 40mm <-> 42mm, max 43mm.

bpsmith and Aquagraph like this.
  8. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 29, 2021

The Seamaster fits me lovely and the lug to lug on that is about the same as a 43mm Aquaracer. I really liked the Bamford edition that I tried on before the aforementioned purchase, so comfortable that the 43mm fits nice. I guess I do like large watches, although the slim profile perhaps helps. I will have a look at the 41mm again too though.

I wasn’t thinking of changing straps on the Skeleton, as comes with rubber strap I was aiming for. Might be a bit academic now though, based on that photo you sent. Very nice piece, but can see your point about size and thickness, with your wrist being bigger than mine too.

9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

I tried it on multiple times before I convinced myself it wasn't too big. But even now I do feel a little self conscious when wearing it, probably because I've bought a lot of smaller watches since...

But if you already wear a 43mm then the orange F1 is a gorgeous watch so I wouldn't dismiss it.
    [​IMG]

stevec14, dtf and bpsmith like this.
  10. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 29, 2021

Pretty much sold on the 45mm being too big.

Shame really, as do like they look of the Skeketon H01. Back to the Aquaracer again it is then. Strangely drawn to this model and always end up back looking at them. Think it’s inevitable.

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

You can get a 43mm skeleton you know...

bpsmith likes this.
  12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

If I had my time again I might have gone that route... although, it doesn't have the cool all black case that the 45mm does.

bpsmith likes this.
  13. dtf

dtf Nov 29, 2021

there are a few different black ones that vary a lot in legibility, for example:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course there’s the OG that @Aquagraph is modeling above, which is probably my favourite. Check out David’s post on them to see all the different versions, and maybe check out the 43mm version.

As always the best thing to do is try them on, not easy in covid times. I’ve been tempted a few times when they have been in Bicester, but kinda prefer the H02 skeleton because it’s symmetrical

bpsmith likes this.
  14. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 29, 2021

I only have the one to go on…for the time being anyway.

That looks great on. I have read the thread from when that was originally released. Could see you were chuffed with it.

I wonder if an element of the self consciousness is down to the colour perhaps? It certainly announces its presence. In a good way, as Orange is definitely on my list.

I was set on buying all automatic for future watches, but doesn’t really make sense for this sort of purchase I am now thinking. Servicing was my main thinking behind that.

15. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 29, 2021

It’s the top one I have seen, with the Ceramic case. Has drawn me to it as reluctantly couldn’t get a nice fit on the Ceramic Seamaster which I love. At Bicester too. That’s looking at their list mind you, as live a good distance away. I would drive up there to try on, but better to make certain on size before wasting a trip.

dtf likes this.
  16. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 29, 2021

It’s the lovely all black ceramic version that’s drawn me, for that very reason.

Similar to being drawn to the Nightdiver. I have seen a Quartz version of it which looks lovely too, but the price difference between that and the Orange F1 is a tough one. I get that it’s Titanium, so that’s where the difference lies. Tricky one.

dtf likes this.
  17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

[​IMG][​IMG]

It also has a not as cool crown. I think on reflection I would stick with the 45mm

Albert-AMG and bpsmith like this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

Aquaracer is considered a step up from the F1 line as well... though a lot of this is marketing of course..

bpsmith likes this.
  19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

Symmetrical, but with a whole lotta nothing going on at the top of the dial...

bpsmith likes this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 29, 2021

Yeah it's pretty bright, but I like that. I don't like the strap, mine lives on a rubber strap now. Others tell me you have to wear it for three weeks to soften it up, but that's never gonna happen! :D

bpsmith likes this.