Buying a Monaco 40th Anniversary

Hi all,

I have the current CAW211P Monaco but have always desired to own the 40th Anniversary edition.

And so, just recently four pieces have shown up on Chrono24 (https://www.chrono24.com/tagheuer/ref-caw211a.htm#gref) and one on e-Bay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAG-Heue...EEJ5449-Steve-McQueen-Box-12394-/223600213980).

I must admit to being very nervous about spending a lot of money online and wondered if anyone had good advice for me.

Also, I'm still torn between buying a piece with all the papers and the original box (collector grade) or a cheaper piece without all those just to be a daily wearer!

Thanks...

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Box and papers is the only way I'd go. For daily wear you've already got the CAW211P.

I too have both CAW211P and A
(A) was my grail watch for 10 years and I finally found one which was in my price range and had the Box and Papers.
My advice for a watch as special as that, is to try and get one with all the little bits and pieces (box and Papers)....just as it would have left the shop with it's very first owner. You will appreciate it more in the long run I would say.

Spending the money which is needed to secure a 40th Anniversary Monaco can be daunting, but if you do your research and homework well, you will be OK more times than not.
P and A look so similar to each other that I still have trouble telling them apart.
The two main things I look for are the metal frame around the date on (A) vs a painted frame on the (P)
And the less known difference of- 4 white "ticks" between each minute indicator on (A) vs 3 "ticks" on the (P)

Good luck with the search and post some photos when you secure one.

I too have both CAW211P and A
(A) was my grail watch for 10 years and I finally found one which was in my price range and had the Box and Papers.
My advice for a watch as special as that, is to try and get one with all the little bits and pieces (box and Papers)....just as it would have left the shop with it's very first owner. You will appreciate it more in the long run I would say.

Spending the money which is needed to secure a 40th Anniversary Monaco can be daunting, but if you do your research and homework well, you will be OK more times than not.
P and A look so similar to each other that I still have trouble telling them apart.
The two main things I look for are the metal frame around the date on (A) vs a painted frame on the (P)
And the less known difference of- 4 white "ticks" between each minute indicator on (A) vs 3 "ticks" on the (P)

Good luck with the search and post some photos when you secure one.

Brilliant advice, many thanks. Any thoughts on what is the right price to pay?

I have both as well. In-doors it's difficult to tell them apart, but the dials actually look different outdoors in sunlight.

Nice quick pointers to spot the difference sirs @heuer1860 and @Hubert :cool:

the CAW211A should really be a good catch so it will really depend how much you really want it and how much you’re willing to spend for it ;)

Brilliant advice, many thanks. Any thoughts on what is the right price to pay?

well when they were released back in 2009 they were $10,000 locally in my NZD.
At the moment you can see them around for sale between $10500 to over $20000 NZD by some dreamers. I paid about $8500 NZD for mine with box etc last year so there are still a few good deals around.
If you could get one for around $10,000 NZD you would be doing well I would say. The fact that this watch is a limited edition of 1000 pieces means that prices have stayed relatively similar to when they were released due to its relative good availability in the market.
I would say for TH, a LE release of around 1000 pieces hits a nice sweet spot between supply and demand in the short to medium term.
last years release of 169 LE Monaco’s saw a mad dash to get hold of one of them and this is reflected in the short term increase in resale value.
My feeling is that the CAW211A will be the watch to have in the long term as its one of, if not the closest to the original and has Jack’s signature on the back.
That said, if we ever see a Monaco with Mushroom pushers , that could throw the Monaco resale market on its head as I think this would be the ultimate Re-edition.

D:

By the way, the price difference is coming down. I went into an Australian AD yesterday, and the price of the Calibre 11 Monaco CAW211P is A$8900, so getting closer to the price of a nice second-hand CAW211A.

I'm a big fan of the smaller CAW211A- I know that they are *almost* the same, but it's the small differences that make the 40th Anniversary so special.

By the way, the price difference is coming down. I went into an Australian AD yesterday, and the price of the Calibre 11 Monaco CAW211P is A$8900, so getting closer to the price of a nice second-hand CAW211A.

New Monaco prices in Australia seem to have been through the same inflation economy as prices in Stellarossa - stratospheric!

Hmmm, there's a price increase in the US as well. The C11 & H02 Monaco are now priced at $6150, up from their 2019 $5900 price. The Monaco Gulf has increased even more, to $6350! My '90s Monaco 50 now feels like a bargain at $6550.

well when they were released back in 2009 they were $10,000 locally in my NZD.
At the moment you can see them around for sale between $10500 to over $20000 NZD by some dreamers. I paid about $8500 NZD for mine with box etc last year so there are still a few good deals around.
If you could get one for around $10,000 NZD you would be doing well I would say. The fact that this watch is a limited edition of 1000 pieces means that prices have stayed relatively similar to when they were released due to its relative good availability in the market.
I would say for TH, a LE release of around 1000 pieces hits a nice sweet spot between supply and demand in the short to medium term.
last years release of 169 LE Monaco’s saw a mad dash to get hold of one of them and this is reflected in the short term increase in resale value.
My feeling is that the CAW211A will be the watch to have in the long term as its one of, if not the closest to the original and has Jack’s signature on the back.
That said, if we ever see a Monaco with Mushroom pushers , that could throw the Monaco resale market on its head as I think this would be the ultimate Re-edition.

D:

I would gladly pay 10K NZD! So, I'll keep searching...

How about this one on C24

Thanks for the tip. I actually saw that one but the no original box and no papers put me off.

I'm actually between this one that has the original box but no papers: https://www.chrono24.com/tagheuer/40th-anniversary-limited-edition--id12582246.htm

Or this one which they claim has papers and the original box but their box looks suspect: https://www.chrono24.com/tagheuer/t...iversary-steve-mcqueen-caw211a--id8000804.htm

This one is mint, never worn but the price is too high: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/TAG-Heuer-M...-EEJ5449-Steve-McQueen-Box-12394/223600213980

Time for a glass of wine and some thinking :)

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I’m intrigued by dealers raising prices of items already in stock, profiteering? Or a shortage due to Coronavirus.