Forums Latest Members

Bottas' First Interview Since Joining Mercedes AMG Petronas

1. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

He certainly looks excited and has a lot of talent but is he going to be able to keep Lewis honest better than Nico, and does he actually have a chance of picking up a title for himself?

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

They made an interesting move with Bottas. Guess they went for the safer choice, in an effort not to cast any shadow upon Lewis.

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

Only a one year deal? Hmm

4. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

Fernando and Seb are both on the market for the 2018 season and after their second year in the sport, Ocon & Wehrlein are either going to have to sink or swim Redbull style or Toto's just spending 20M/year funding the careers of two drivers for no reason.

I have a strong feeling that the three players this year are going to be Redbull, Mercedes and McLaren, with Ferrari becoming a complete basket case while McLaren under Zak Brown is going to be inundated with new sponsors (something he's arguably the best man in the business at) just as its starting to come good. If that happens I could see Fernando staying, Seb moving to Mercedes (they wouldn't mind a real German driver) and the two Redbull drivers locked in as they're not going to risk losing either of them with Sainz possibly heading to Ferrari.

WernerBoeinck and Hubert like this.
  5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

Good points. I get why Merc only want to give him one, but given they had no better option, I thought he would have pushed/ demanded two. Then again, I guess most drivers would give their left arm for the chance in the best car on the grid.

No question McLaren will have a major sponsor....they may not pay Ron's "rack-rate", but given Brown's background, he would look like a failure if he didn't produce a naming sponsor

6. elbeik

elbeik Jan 17, 2017

I can see IWC didn't loose time.