Forums Latest Members

Baselworld relaunch needs more time

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 12, 2021

Press Release:
    Baselworld relaunch needs more time
    Basel 12 November 2021

Baselworld organizers have decided to take more time for the launch of the new concept. Baselworld, scheduled for spring 2022, will therefore not take place. This decision is based on the one hand on the experience gained from the Pop Up Event at the Geneva Watch Days and on intensive discussions with manufacturers and retailers. On the other hand, it takes into account the fact that it is particularly difficult to launch a new concept for a new target segment due to the renewed aggravation of the COVID situation and the associated uncertainty among customers.

"Over the past few months, we have studied in detail our Watches, Jewellery and Gems ecosystem and gained important insights from discussions with major industry representatives," says Beat Zwahlen, CEO of the MCH Group. "The conclusion is that the market exists for a B:B:C platform that brings together medium-sized and specialized manufacturers with independent retailers. But their needs must be analyzed in more detail. This means we need to have significantly more time to get there."

In the coming months, therefore, an interdisciplinary team from the MCH Group will analyze the target segments and, in close exchange with manufacturers and retailers, make a deep dive into their marketing and transaction needs. In this context, particular attention will be paid to the latest trends in marketing and distribution with a view to the post-pandemic period, especially internationalization and digitization. The goal remains to create added value for the community's business in its target markets with the internationally anchored Baselworld brand and innovative platforms.

Due to the cancellation of Baselworld 2022, Managing Director Michel Loris-Melikoff has decided to leave the company and take on a new challenge. Loris-Melikoff had taken over the management of Baselworld in 2018 under difficult conditions and brought it to a successful execution in 2019. In a short period of time, he managed to gain access to the industry and win its respect. He initiated and helped shape the necessary transformation and repositioning of Baselworld. The MCH Group regrets his decision. It thanks him for his tireless commitment and wishes him all the best for his future engagements.

You will find the press releases here in, English, French and German.

Media contacts:

MCH Group Ltd.
    Corporate Communications
    Christian Jecker
    +41 58 206 22 52
    christian.jecker@mch-group.com
    www.mch-group.com

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 12, 2021

…a very carefully worded release. I’m not sure it will ever come back :(

3. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 12, 2021

I thought Baselworld was dead, had no idea there was a 2022 fair to cancel

4. imagwai

imagwai Nov 12, 2021

Same. It certainly sounds like it's on life support.

5. abrod520

abrod520 Nov 12, 2021

I think this is likely because nobody was interested in continuing to pay Baselworld's exorbitant prices, so the 2022 fair they 'optimistically' set up would have been very sparse.

GWD has taken over, and I think the industry's better for it personally.

Calibre11 and thingziliketoo like this.
  6. PFEN

PFEN Nov 17, 2021

that's a shame. I loved going there. (Basel is 40 km from my home); we see so many beautiful things there. and as you can see, I went out with a maximum of memories offered by the biggest brands.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Remo, VirgileF and Jim Dollares like this.
  7. PFEN

PFEN Nov 17, 2021

advantage of living right on the Swiss border is that even though Baselworld is over; I always have the possibility of visiting a few factories ...:)

1.jpg 2.jpg

8. PFEN

PFEN Nov 20, 2021

Swiss Xmas shopping :D
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg