Forums Latest Members
  1. andrewcanamc123

andrewcanamc123 Oct 18, 2015

has anyone ever bought a watch from this place? Any views if they are authentic or not.

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 18, 2015

They are...but be cautious. Check out this article under Grey Dealers
    http://www.calibre11.com/buy-tag-heuer-online/

andrewcanamc123 likes this.
  3. supersonicboom

supersonicboom Oct 18, 2015

I bought from them twice and will never again. Within three weeks, the crown broke on my Carerra and they did not cover that. It worries me as I read the attached article, it was probably a return and a cheap "fix" from them. I bought an aquaracer that they didn't size as I requested and they offered me $10 which is less than the cost to have it sized at dealer. The Carerra repair cost me about $400 which would not justify the savings to buy from them in the first place. For Tags, there is a decent saving compared to the AD price, but I would never buy from them again. Also, as stated in many reviews, the people you deal with are, quite frankly, rude and unprofessional.

4. andrewcanamc123

andrewcanamc123 Oct 18, 2015

Thank you. Yea. I've been worried cuz I bought a carrera. So far no problem. I checked every detail (without opening the case back ofcourse) including the details, quality, luminosity of the minute and hour hands in the dark,
    And of course the movement of the watch (including the movement of the chrono minutes and chrono hour dial hands) and compared all of these to one at an authorized retailer here in Fairfield ,CA (Fred Meyers jewelers). I am most likely going to send the watch to tag to see if it's authentic but so far everything checks out fine. Also had it taken to a reputable watch repair shop and this guy has worked on many authentic watches and he said it looks and seems like the real deal. But before I send the watch to Tag and have it verified for authenticity, I'm gonna have an authorized retailer and their repair man look at it.

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 18, 2015

Authentic watches and other grey dealers don't sell fakes- never heard a single case. But there are other problems/ risks/ issues, as you read above.

I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't bother having it authenticated- it's a genuine watch if it came from them.

6. elbeik

elbeik Oct 19, 2015

Pics or it doesn't exist.

RawArcher likes this.
  7. andrewcanamc123

andrewcanamc123 Oct 19, 2015

8. andrewcanamc123

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  9. elbeik

elbeik Oct 19, 2015

Congrats! A couple of days ago I acquired it's half brother, a Day-Date Calibre 16 :)

10. andrewcanamc123

About to send it to tag to get it authenticated. Does the watch look like a genuine carrera 1887??

11. imagwai

imagwai Oct 19, 2015

Honestly, no need to send to Tag. Trust me, it's fine. Not only do the photos show a genuine watch, but Authenticwatches don't sell fakes.

12. andrewcanamc123

Only worry is that the serial number on the case back doesn't register with Tag's online registry for authentisized watches .

13. andrewcanamc123

andrewcanamc123 Nov 2, 2015

Great news guys...sent the watch to TAG and had it authenticated and my carrera was authentic, cost me 190 bucks to get it done but they replaced the seals and gaskets and cleaned the inside and im guessing buffed out some little scratches I put on it since that's what they put on the work order. @imagwai I agree that the watch definitely looked very authentic to begin with but it's always nice having the comfort of knowing for sure you didn't waste thousands of dollars on fake. Oh and Tag's customer service was amazing, they initially said it was going to take 15 days to process from the time they received it but I asked them to expedite it for me and they processed it and reviewed it and gave me the estimate for the work all in the same day I called for this favor (which means the watch was authentic if it passes through the review process and is given a price estimate). It was processed oct 22 and complete on october 31. I called today to have it shipped priority overnight instead of the two day shipping they listed and on the phone they said they couldn't and I just checked and they actually went ahead and shipped it priority overnight and I get it back TOMORROW!!! So glad it's authentic.

proof of authenticity carrera estimate.png
  14. Cobain

Cobain Nov 3, 2015

Probably gonna get flak for this or whatever but i strongly disagree with the article.
    Yes Grey Market Dealer have their down sides, yet have most at stake, they are a business just like any other.
    Grey Market in general is good for watch enthusiast and people who buy the watch for the watch and not the story, if it wasn't for grey market Authorized dealers would never be as flexible with their price as they are now because the grey marking is exposing the greedy mark up that ADs demand, with promises of authenticity, warranty, and "piece of mind" although theres plenty of horror stories with their warranty.

If it wasn't for ebay and grey market old discontinued watches would disappear and die.

15. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 3, 2015

Understand your view- the purpose of that article was to make it clear to people that there are additional risks when you buy from a grey dealer...the unsuspecting watch buyer may not even understand this basic fact.

Those that understand the risks are much better placed to work out whether it's right for them

Pell031 likes this.
  16. Cobain

Cobain Nov 3, 2015

The article is very clearly biased. That's all.

17. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 3, 2015

It's an opinion. Like yours.

boat2dan likes this.