Forums Latest Members
  1. Kidblue

Kidblue Jan 11, 2017

Anyone have instructions or a copy of the manual for an Airline?

I am very confused about the 24-hour bezel while the GMT hand jumps in one-hour increments on a 12-hour scale.

Thanks!

image.jpg
  2. Kidblue

Kidblue Jan 12, 2017

I went ahead and took a video of the GMT hand jumping, obviously ignoring the 24-hour scale in favor of a 12-hour scale.

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 12, 2017

4. Kidblue

Kidblue Jan 12, 2017

Thank you for this! There is simply no other archive or institution with this kind of resource online! I'd been through the catalogs but no knowing what year it was from, the process was a little daunting.

The plot does thicken, however - It seems that I have a 12-hour GMT hand but a 24-hour case/bracelet? Is this correct? My GMT hand is also an arrow, which seems to be different. This is all very strange considering that the watch came with box, papers, etc.

Edit: The arrow hand appears from be from the 87/88 catalog, although mine is branded Heuer and still features everything but the 24 hour movement.

Not to mention, the case ref # is for the 24-hour version (895.413) - is it the same movement and an adjustment or what?

Edited Jan 12, 2017
  5. automobilia42

automobilia42 Jan 14, 2017

Hmm, this might be a long shot, but I can remember seeing some Airline models online for sale that had actually no movement inside them, they were special "salesman watches" just to show to the dealers. I have seen a couple of them online over the passing years, maybe yours is one too and has had a movement transplant afterwards?
    Just me thinking up loud though what could have happened in the past.

6. Kidblue

Kidblue Jan 14, 2017

That's not a bad theory, although I really find it difficult to believe that this was anything but N. O. S... it still has the plastic on the case-back! Anything is possible, but I'd like to think after collecting for a few years, you can determine when a watch has been opened and/or so drastically fiddled with.

I am wondering what the difference between the 12/24 hour movements are, because that is truly the only difference. As in, I'm wondering if they're the same and simply adjustable.