aBlogToWatch interview with Biver

Really worth watching for those interested in future trajectory of watch Industry. Very insightful and eloquent. Thankyou for posting

Really worth watching for those interested in future trajectory of watch Industry. Very insightful and eloquent. Thankyou for posting
Yes, very candid and insightful. If all CEOs spoke so openly, it would be a different world.

I am still don't understand why it wasn't Tag Heuer invention in the first place. I am talking about the Defy Lab movement. I thought Guy Semon work for Tag Heuer ?

I am still don't understand why it wasn't Tag Heuer invention in the first place. I am talking about the Defy Lab movement. I thought Guy Semon work for Tag Heuer ?
I believe that technically, his role is now is CEO of LVMH Science Institute (and General Manager of TAG Heuer). The watch was designed by Christoph Behling (also TAG Heuer, although independent)

This JC Biver interview with Watchtime magazine from December 2017 is really telling. In JCB's mind, each company within LVMH has a specific niche specialty (not to mention brand appeal). Hublot's specialty is material science, while Zenith's specialty is movements. Thus, while the new Defy Lab movement was developed by Guy Semon, apparently JCB chose to release the movement under the umbrella of Zenith. I don't agree with this assessment.

WatchTime: You mentioned the Zenith Defy Lab movement, an amazing innovation. How do you choose which LVMH brand gets which new innovation?

JCB: It’s easy. What was the major improvement in the new [Defy Lab] escapement? The oscillator. What is important about it? Its high accuracy – one second in 24 hours. It’s the most accurate mechanical watch in the world. What brand should I give it to? To Zenith. because it was always part of that brand’s philosophy part of its DNA, to do high-accuracy. Zenith has won 2,232 first prizes in the grand prix of chronometry, and it is the only brand that has won that many prize for accuracy. Zenith has always been, throughout its history, obsessed with accuracy, which was not always the case with TAG Heuer or Hublot. They also tried to make accurate watches, but it was not their main task.

This JC Biver interview with Watchtime magazine from December 2017 is really telling. In JCB's mind, each company within LVMH has a specific niche specialty (not to mention brand appeal). Hublot's specialty is material science, while Zenith's specialty is movements. Thus, while the new Defy Lab movement was developed by Guy Semon, apparently JCB chose to release the movement under the umbrella of Zenith. I don't agree with this assessment.

WatchTime: You mentioned the Zenith Defy Lab movement, an amazing innovation. How do you choose which LVMH brand gets which new innovation?

JCB: It’s easy. What was the major improvement in the new [Defy Lab] escapement? The oscillator. What is important about it? Its high accuracy – one second in 24 hours. It’s the most accurate mechanical watch in the world. What brand should I give it to? To Zenith. because it was always part of that brand’s philosophy part of its DNA, to do high-accuracy. Zenith has won 2,232 first prizes in the grand prix of chronometry, and it is the only brand that has won that many prize for accuracy. Zenith has always been, throughout its history, obsessed with accuracy, which was not always the case with TAG Heuer or Hublot. They also tried to make accurate watches, but it was not their main task.
Maybe the caseback of the Zenith Defy should have something a la Red Bull....Powered by TAG Heuer. ;)

I agree with you. Whilst Zenith may have won plenty of chronometric awards, they aren't exactly known for pushing the boundaries of movement design (with the exception of the 1969 El Primero). Compare and contrast with TAG Heuer with the Calibre 360, V4, MikroGirder, etc.

I agree with you. Whilst Zenith may have won plenty of chronometric awards, they aren't exactly known for pushing the boundaries of movement design (with the exception of the 1969 El Primero). Compare and contrast with TAG Heuer with the Calibre 360, V4, MikroGirder, etc.
Well said !

If i may add, sorry for me being blunt in advance, but i think they gave it to Zenith, because they need the sales for Zenith so bad. Well anyway, best of luck for Zenith. I am more likely to buy the Tag Heuer version though, if it ever come to realization and the price is right.