Forums Latest Members
  1. jrhave2

jrhave2 Mar 10, 2017

First - PLEASE forgive my ignorance on this one. I generally spend my time over in the Omega forums, but I'm starting to branch into other brands and Heuer keeps bumping to the top of my list. I am working with a dealer on a different watch, and this week as we were looking at stock he pulled this out of his bag. As you all know, it's a 4th Gen Carrera and it appears to be legitimate NOS. My issue is that I know little to nothing about vintage quartz watches. I do know from the OF that some people certainly have an aversion to them, but to what extent does this impact the pricing? I've read through the Ultimate Guide for the Carrera, and I've seen the moderators posts on NOS. If I buy this, I will absolutely rip the red stickers off and wear it several times a week. Any advice you can give on this generation and it's level of value when compared to the more traditional Carreras would be great. I don't want to throw good money at this watch if I can add a little more and take home a Camaro or a Carrera Chrono. Thanks for the time/space!

IMG_2963.JPG IMG_2964.JPG IMG_2973.JPG IMG_2974.JPG

These are two others I'm looking at, but they're 3x to 4x the cost of the Carrera quartz...

IMG_3015.JPG IMG_3016.JPG

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 11, 2017

It does look NOS...although I have never seen that red-striped sticker on the crystal before. That could have come much later in the watches life. Are there any stickers on the caseback?

Truth is that these (lovely in my view) quartz Carrears are not that valued by collectors, so I don't think you'd find that much of a premium for a true NOS watch and one that was simply in very good condition.

Be very careful with the movement, as if the batteries have been left in for +30 years, they have almost certainly leaked acid into the quartz module. Hopefully they've been taken out.

The other two watches you have shown will hold their value better...but I'd expect the quartz Carrera to be a fair bit cheaper.

3. jrhave2

jrhave2 Mar 13, 2017

There is the same/similar sticker on the back. Any idea what price range I should be targeting? I can't seem to find any recent sales, and there aren't any on the sites that I frequent at the moment. Any range would help. Thanks!

4. elbeik

elbeik Mar 13, 2017

Check chrono24, there were one or two for sale a while back.

5. jrhave2

jrhave2 Mar 13, 2017

Are you aware of a way to review the archives at Chrono24? I looked over there before posting, but only seem to be able to review current watches for purchase. Thanks @elbeik !

6. elbeik

elbeik Mar 13, 2017

7. Jonathan S

Jonathan S Mar 17, 2017

I took a chance with a lovely black dial version because i like them and the condition was stunning, however i must say there has been little interest, quartz is always tricky , the other 2 watches you listed are still by far the safe investment.
    https://www.vintageheuer.com/products/carrera-quartz/