2024 LVMH Watch Week

Only one blog I read, guess who’s? No axe to grind or manufacturer or advertiser to cosy up to, told as he sees it.
Life’s too short I reckon to spend my time reading or listening to numpties I wouldn’t trust with my coffee.

Thanks Martin.

Well, assuming you mean my blog of course... :oops:

It doesn't matter if you agree with what I write, I'm sure a lot of you don't. But at least what I write is 100% honest.

There's never actually going to be a NEW watch again is there? They can't even use a colour without referencing history.

upload_2024-2-14_13-23-28.png

Pretty sure the Swiss watch industry will be bankrupt before we see a brand new model from TAG Heuer again. Zero risk and playing it ridiculously safe is how the luxury conglomerates play their game.

I agree, but oddly if I were in their shoes I wouldn't be rushing to do it either. The only industry figure I see asking for new designs is Ariel Adams, and as we can see in this forum most are satisfied with more Monacos and Carreras and the odd Monza/Silverstone/etc. What sort of bizarre industry is this where the customers are happy to never have a new model to look at. How do you push boundaries and explore further by making the same stuff over and over again?

Don’t know how many watches a high end dealer expects to shift monthly, chatting to the sales lass in a Hubolt dealer late Monday afternoon, I was the first person in the day that day.

I saw something the other day... I think it was that guy, you know.... Christian from Theo and Harris, said there's a Bremont boutique somewhere or other, hasn't sold a watch in three months or something. And another boutique that had sold three watches... can't remember which brand it was. Times are tough, but never mind, keep putting them prices up!

Don’t know how many watches a high end dealer expects to shift monthly, chatting to the sales lass in a Hubolt dealer late Monday afternoon, I was the first person in the day that day.
I dont know either, but I wouldn’t be astonished if nowadays a lot of the brand boutiques in the über-expensive luxury shopping streets don’t turn a profit…

I’ve been in downtown GVA this PM and a couple of them I glanced at were desperately empty (IWC, Longines, JLC, Hublot, UN…) ‍:confused:
Edited:

I agree, but oddly if I were in their shoes I wouldn't be rushing to do it either. The only industry figure I see asking for new designs is Ariel Adams, and as we can see in this forum most are satisfied with more Monacos and Carreras and the odd Monza/Silverstone/etc. What sort of bizarre industry is this where the customers are happy to never have a new model to look at. How do you push boundaries and explore further by making the same stuff over and over again?

Guess safe works. Only have to look at the short lived Autavias which are now heavily discounted. Grass isn’t always greener

I saw something the other day... I think it was that guy, you know.... Christian from Theo and Harris, said there's a Bremont boutique somewhere or other, hasn't sold a watch in three months or something. And another boutique that had sold three watches... can't remember which brand it was. Times are tough, but never mind, keep putting them prices up!

The new Bremont CEO has said end of February some new models due and cheaper prices (basically saying they’ve too expensive currently and need to be lower down a tier).

The new Bremont CEO has said end of February some new models due and cheaper prices (basically saying they’ve too expensive currently and need to be lower down a tier).
Really? Interesting to see a watch company not betting all their horses on doubling prices in the next five years. I assume their new ceo aint Swiss then ey.

There was a Blog to Watch podcast the other day and Ariel mentioned one of the problems the watch industry has is that for the past few years people have been buying watches like they've been going out of fashion. Literally no one actually needs a new watch now. It's a good point. There are a lot of people who don't buy watch after watch after watch, and those people usually drip feed into the market at a steady rate. Now all those people have spaffed their load at once and the industry is left with the people who buy multiple watches, who are currently probably stuck with watches that they can't sell, maybe lost money and sitting tight. I'm not sure dropping the prices is even going to do much, I think they have a tough few years ahead waiting for demand to build again.

The cycling industry is an interesting comparison to refer to. Even some of the most popular online companies are proper struggling, as the one time purchasers all bought at the same time and even those multi bicycle purchasing odd people (myself included) have cut back heavily. Now there’s lots of stock everywhere, with big discounts to be had, but it’s still not selling. I therefore agree with Rob that dropping prices doesn’t always help.

Guess who buy multiple bicycles? Many of those who buy multiple watches.

Really? Interesting to see a watch company not betting all their horses on doubling prices in the next five years. I assume their new ceo aint Swiss then ey.
Wouldn't you believe it… but IWC have actually lowered (!) some of their list prices in Switzerland. And the new Ingénieur is rumored to no longer be sold in IWC boutiques alone :eek:

Wouldn't you believe it… but IWC have actually lowered (!) some of their list prices in Switzerland. And the new Ingénieur is rumored to no longer be sold in IWC boutiques alone :eek:
I think to most people but the Swiss watch companies, it is super obvious that their current business model aint sustainable long term. Plenty of them will need to die and the market will eventually adjust itself. Unless they all plan to eventually become haute horology mini sized companies selling a few watches per year to mega billionaires like Jeff Pesos.

I like the green 45 dato because it's just so clean and uncluttered. Would love to see one in person. 46mm L2L and <14mm thick are such great specs and you get an in house movement too. Has to be more colours coming.

I like the green 45 dato because it's just so clean and uncluttered. Would love to see one in person. 46mm L2L and <14mm thick are such great specs and you get an in house movement too. Has to be more colours coming.

Red, for sure. Blue for sure.

The Green Dato does look much better IRL compared to most pics, you should definitely check it out.